About the project: American Prairie Reserve had very specific goals for now and in the future. I needed to create a design to showcase the amazing landscapes of the prairie, while being sure that over the next 12 to 24 months the design would be flexible enough to accommodate many future features.
I also edited the home page background video.
About the project: Front Line Defenders had a major shift in their storytelling. The goal is to create a space that highlights the work of the people who put their lives on the line in defense of our human rights. The hero images needed to be powerful. And, they needed to allow for many kinds of assets at hand. I created a space for three kinds: photos, illustrator, and graphic. The rest of the site is a mix of modular design elements and dynamic content. My goal was to create flexibility while keeping an eye on powerful, clear, design elements to have as much impact visually as the stories that the site contains.
About the Project: A redesign and build for Alice Water's Edible Schoolyard Project. My part of the project was recently cancelled but I'm proud of the work-in-progress so I'm sharing it here.
Sometimes, designers and clients aren't a great fit. The trick is knowing you did the best job you could do.
About the project: Litquake is a literary organization in San Francisco. The project was a full redesign. The approach was simple—do what authors do—and show rather than tell. So, instead of saying that Litquake has events we jump right in and show upcoming events. These events are unlike other readings and I really wanted the playfulness of them to shine through in the design.
About the project: Terry Arzt needed a site to support her growing coaching business. The design needed to do what her work focuses on, making people feel heard, understood, and with hope to take action. I focused on creating a space for images to convey some of these feelings and then flanking them with her kind and understanding words.
I also created:
About the project: This site was a full redesign. We had some strong collateral to kick us off. The goal of the site was to make it feel modern and clean in order to address the site goal of attracting younger members and conference participants.
About the project:
A single page design for a lovely company in Chicago.
Project Status: Launched
This redesign was such a grand experience though it saw many different angles over the process.
The top image is what we landed with. The bottom one is where we started. The illustration, done by the amazing Rich Black, was commissioned by the client to create a loving piece of art that honored the tragic origins of the organization's start but still held hope for the future. After seeing the new direction, the client decided to switch back to something much closer to what they had had. It was an interesting experience! The end result showcases the studios where the community can take part in the project.
Project status: in development
This project had an interesting challenge of needing to be beautiful and content heavy. They had great photos so we knew we wanted to use those to set the tone and give the visitor a sense of place to kick off the story. Then, the challenge was integrating enough visuals down the page to keep it visually interesting while paying attention to load time as many visitors are hail from in rural places.
Project status: Complete
This site is a side project of RedRover. Women often don't leave an abusive an abusive household when they don't have access to a shelter that accepts pets. The site needed to let them find a shelter that does accept pets and had the added challenge of needing to be forgettable just in case there were prying eyes nearby.
Project status: Launched
About the project: Unbound Philanthropy was a complete redesign intended to better tell the story of the work that Unbound funds.
As a strange twist, one of our site goals was to lower the number of people contacting the organization as they don't provide unsolicisted calls for grant applications.
About the project: CompassPoint's project was involved one with many moving parts: the postcard site, the workshop pages, and the checkout pages. We played with post-its as during many of their meetings and workshops they use them to get the creative juices flowing. That end up translating into solid, bright colors.
Project status: Complete
This project aimed to highlight three different success stories that CompassPoint had had over the past year for their annual report. The approach was to set each story off with its own logo and let the standardized format of the body text keep the cohesiveness of the page stitched together.
About the project: This annual report was a complete blast to work on. The theme was everyday heroes so we went played with graphic novel design elements and bold, bright colors.